Calling all AMP admins!
This one’s for you - the unsung AMP heroes who do the dirty work to keep their company’s AMP catalog accurate and looking fresh for reps and customers to use. But what if I told you the work didn’t have to be quite so dirty? That there was a simple, clean way to keep that catalog looking fresh? One that could potentially save you hours of your day and untold amounts of worry and angst? Intrigued? I’ll show you. It’ll only take 5 minutes - right this way.
Example 1: Update just inventory
Let’s say we have an inventory report that we’ve ran from our inventory system. It lists SKUs and their inventories. We need to use it to update the inventory in AMP.
Two steps here:
1) Make sure it is saved as a CSV
2) Upload it
Wait, what? That’s it?! Yup – as long as the SKUs and column names match, we’ve just updated inventory in under a minute.
* PRO TIP After uploading a product table you’ll be brought to a review screen. Use the color key to review what changes will be made when you accept the upload. Scroll all the way to the right to see if any new (blue) columns are being added. Scroll all the way to the bottom to see if any new (blue) SKUs are being added. Scan for reds and greens within the white columns to see what data you’re upload will change.
Why does it work?
AMP’s product table is updated by merging the file you’re uploading with the product table that’s already there. SKUs and columns that already exist are updated if there’s new data, and SKUs and columns that aren’t already in the product table are added. Any SKU or column that isn’t in your upload file remains as it was.
What we’ve just done with your inventory in Example 1, we could also do for prices, descriptions, or any other column/set of columns in your product table. We might export our entire product table. Delete the columns we’re not updating. Make our updates, and re-upload this reduced table. Again, only the columns that are present in our upload get updated. Everything else remains the way it was. Pretty cool, right? Wait, it gets better, we can do the same thing for SKUs!
Example 2: Update just a few SKUs
Let’s say market is right around the corner and prices have changed for a certain collection of products. We need to update these prices in AMP.
A few steps here:
1) Let’s export the product table
2) Now let’s delete all the SKUs we’re not updating. To make things even easier for us, let’s also delete all the columns we’re not updating.
3) Update the prices
4) Save and upload
We’ve just updated the prices for the collection, and we’ve ensured we’re not accidentally updating any other prices or information. We can sleep easy tonight!
* PRO TIP The same method can be applied to adding SKUs to your product table. Export the table. Add new SKUs to the bottom. Delete all SKUs you didn’t add before uploading. Why risk updating SKUs that you didn’t mean to update? Plus, now we have a file with just what was added, which could be useful for our records later.
As you can see, there’s no reason to do complicated VLOOKUPs in Excel or to worry about overriding data that you didn’t mean to override. Only upload the SKUs and columns that are being updated. And review the changes (see Example 1 PRO TIP) before uploading. If you follow these two suggestions you’ll update AMP faster and with greater peace of mind. Happy AMPing!